The May 2017 package: new initiatives by the European Commission in the field of school and higher education
May 30, 2017
The Commission published its new strategy to support high quality, inclusive and future-oriented school and higher education, following the initiative ‘Investing in Youth in Europe’.
In its Communication 'School development and excellent teaching for a great start in life', the Commission identifies areas where action is urgently needed and how EU support can help EU countries address the urgent challenges. The Communication highlights three priority areas:
- Raising the quality and inclusiveness of schools
- Supporting excellent teachers and school leaders
- Improving the governance of school education systems
The Communication presents a list of actions, for each priority, with a provisional timetable.
The renewed EU agenda for higher education identifies four main goals for higher education in the EU:
- Make sure higher education equips graduates with the right skills for today’s economy;
- Building inclusive higher education systems;
- Bridging the innovation gap between higher education, research and business;
- Ensuring different parts of higher education systems work together effectively and efficiently.